Sony has finally announced its revision of its PlayStation Plus subscription service, effectively combining PS Plus and PS Now, alongside adding premium tiers that look likely to compete with Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass. There’s a brand new three-tier structure to the service, Essential, Extra, and Premium.
The Extra tier will cost $14.99/month, and includes up to 400 PS5 and PS4 titles, while the Premium Tier will cost $17.99 a month and include all of those games, alongside an extra 340 additional games from PS3, PS2, original PlayStation, and PSP. The membership tiers will officially come into place starting in June, with a phased approach across Asia and North America, before making its way everywhere else.
How Much Does the All-new PlayStation Plus Cost?
We’ve included a detailed breakdown of the costs just below here, but putting it simply, if you want to remain on your basic PlayStation Plus subscription, you’re looking at PS Plus Essential.
This costs $9.99 a month, and includes all the benefits you’re already used to, including online multiplayer access, cloud game saves, monthly free games, and more. PS Plus Extra and Premium are what many will compare to the Xbox Game Pass model.
PlayStation Plus Essential
- United States: $9.99 monthly / $24.99 quarterly / $59.99 yearly
- Europe: €8,99 monthly / €24.99 quarterly / €59.99 yearly
- United Kingdom: £6.99 monthly / £19.99 quarterly / £49.99 yearly
- Japan: ¥850 monthly / ¥2150 quarterly / ¥5143 yearly
PlayStation Plus Extra
- United States: $14.99 monthly / $39.99 quarterly / $99.99 yearly
- Europe: €13.99 monthly / €39.99 quarterly / €99.99 yearly
- United Kingdom: £10.99 monthly / £31.99 quarterly / £83.99 yearly
- Japan: ¥1,300 monthly / ¥3,600 quarterly / ¥8,600 yearly
PlayStation Plus Premium
- United States: $17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly
- Europe: €16.99 monthly / €49.99 quarterly / €119.99 yearly
- United Kingdom: £13.49 monthly / £39.99 quarterly / £99.99 yearly
- Japan: ¥1,550 monthly / ¥4,300 quarterly / ¥10,250 yearly
What Games Will Be on PS Plus Extra and Premium?
If you subscribe to the PS Plus Premium membership tier, you can expect around 700 games in total to be included with the subscription. Sony has stated at launch they’re expecting to have games such as Death Stranding, God of War, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Mortal Kombat 11, and Returnal.
Games from PS3, PS2, and original PlayStation era titles will also be available via cloud streaming and direct downloads, but this will definitely differ depending on what game you’re trying to play.
What Happens to My Current PS Plus Subscription?
With PlayStation Now transitioning into the new PlayStation Plus service, it will no longer be available to buy standalone. From what we can tell, this also includes the sale of PS Now codes from online retailers such as Amazon, Best Buy, Target, and more.
Any current PlayStation Now customers will therefore be migrated over to PlayStation Plus Premium with no increase to their current subscription fees at launch.
But, there is no current word on how those who have stacked months or even years of PS Plus membership will be able to upgrade and convert their current time into Extra or Premium tiers. Sony is expecting to review even more about the new PlayStation Plus very soon.
Robert Anderson is a deals expert and Commerce Editor for IGN. You can follow him @robertliam21 on Twitter.
Author: Robert Anderson. [Source Link (*), IGN All]